Facebook Page

Saturday 19 November 2011

Printing with Devore

EditedI learned how to print using a range of dyes. I printed with Devore paste on devore velvet and cotton and you can also get devore satin. Devore velvet is everywhere at the moment! The pair of shorts (Shown left) are from Topshop, this season. To check out their newest pieces click Topshop...

I tried this technique and found it very satisfying!





Devore Recipe:
 900ml of cold water in to an electric blender
 Then add 180g of Aluminium Sulphate
 and blend until it is all dissolved.
Now add 60g of Indalca PA3R powder to water
Blend this to a thick consistency 1 minute BUT (be careful not to over mix as this will burn out the blender motor)
Leave the paste to fully thicken for 30 minutes

This is my sample. I printed using the technique mentioned above. Once it was dry, I then overprinted one of the feathers using a black pigment. The cotton can have a very subtle finish, which can be sensitive to the motif/design applied to the fabric.
I printed as normal using my screen making sure that the paste had fully penetrated to the fabric. When using with velvet, its probably easiest to print on the back of the velvet rather than the pile of the fabric. I left the fabric to dry and ironed it on the medium setting until the print turns a golden brown colour. I then washed it under cold water and rubbed away where the paste has been. It may take a while and maybe a bit of elbow grease but the effort is worth it!


This velvet devore dress is by All Saints. Check out more of their stuff on All Saints Spitalfields and maybe sign up to their newsletter? I love their pieces!!!

River Island also have a range of scarves in devore cotton... They are similar to the Alexander Mcqueen devore scarf.


River Island
Alexander Mcqueen

No comments:

Post a Comment