Facebook Page

Thursday 13 September 2012

Interview with Graphic Artist, Kris Tate.

 Kris Tate is an illustrator who has a very distinctive style where she uses a lot of coloured geometrics over layed on images of animals. I love his work! She has a range of products including flat illustrations, Iphone covers, cushions, t shirts and more!

 
Me: "First of all, where are you based?"
 
Kris Tate: "Manchester"
 
Me: "Where did you study and what course did you study?"
 
Kris Tate: "I studied Graphic Design in The University in Guatemala, the course was Graphic Design and Communication and Publicity"
 
Me: "Sounds fun! Do you work from home or in an independent studio?"
 
Kris Tate: "I have my own studio"
 
Me: "Did you enjoy the course?"
 
Kris Tate: "I actually did, but I've always been independent and love to learn by myself. Yes the course is a base but then depends on you where you want to be and what you want to design and what style you want to be in"
 
Me: "I couldn't agree more. Dedication and motivation count as much as skill and talent. So you'd definitely say that the course helped you gain skills and insight into Graphic Design?"
 
Kris Tate: "Actually you learn a lot from the course of graphic design but most say my skills and my style I build it by what I want to do, what I want to win. Yes in courses you learn loads of skills which helps you develop. Like a said a base but actually, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and web pages yes all that you learn how to do it, but it depends of you what passion you want to win and do , I read a lot about design but most when i work inspirations is because most is what I like and makes me feel I need to do it"
 
Me: "And how did develop the graphic, geometric distinctive style you now have? Is that a recent style you have developed, or has your work always had this look to it?"
 
Kris Tate: "I always have been geometric as I love 80s style and designers so that influences me a lot in my work"
 
Me: "Where do you take your inspiration from?"
 
Kris Tate: "My Dad's old records of the 1980's. He used to play the records and I would sit and see all the art of the covers. So cosmic and geometry. I love Picasso also, he inspires me too"
 
Me: "Wow, that's really cool. did you find it hard to set up your own business and to source printers, suppliers etc once you had graduated?"
 
Kris Tate: "At the time is was difficult to work with some companies. A lot of young artists were having their art and prints stolen and sold on by black markets... So, I don't work without contracts. I am now working to build my exclusive designs where it is going to be designed by me and produced by me"
 
Me: "Interesting. All of it is a learning curve. Did you find it hard to gain positive exposure to your target audience when you first started out? And how do you gain exposure? Through blogging? Interviews? Social networking sights? Advertising? Networking at events?"

Kris Tate: "It is really interesting but I started with Society6Tumblr and Facebook. And blogs and I started to see people blogging and publishing my work which made me happy and proud of myself"

Me: "I've never heard of Society6.. Is it a blog platform?"

Kris Tate: "Society6 is where I have my shop. You can buy prints from there"

Me: "Awesome. Do you have any tips for anyone wishing to gain exposure?"

Kris Tate: "Try to get your art in blogs and make references to your website where you have your website and blogs. Also get a Facebook fan page as that helps people to see your work and network with people"

Me: "Well that's all of the questions I have for you. I wish you luck in your future business!"

If you want to see Kris's work on Facebook, click HERE! Follow her on twitter at https://twitter.com/kristate777 or email her at kristateillustrations3@gmail.com

Source: facebook.com/kristateillustrations
"Twin Shadow" by Vasare Nar and Kris Tate


Source: facebook.com/kristateillustrations

"Forrest Friends by Kris Tate"

Do not reproduce these images.



 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment