Facebook Page

Friday 10 August 2012

Interview with artist, Cain Wheale

So a few days ago, portrait artist, Cain Wheale. I interviewed him and asked him as I'm so interested in his work.

Me: Ok. 1st question. How did you start doing portraits (Famous and non famous)?

Cain Wheale: Well I first started off drawing with a comic book style.. And always enjoyed drawing people, And designing characters and found myself enjoying designing the faces more so.. Then I just decided one day that I want to give the comicy stuff a rest for a bit and focus on real self portraits, So I bought a few books with the basics in them and went from there really! most of what I have now is self taught though.

Me: So what course did you study on and where did you study?

Cain Wheale: I studied Media at Brighton City College. The course was mainly script writing, Advert writing, And short film writing. And then the pre-production stage. And also getting the chance to film them too, Luck enough to use the high res cameras that real film makers get to use. Then once that's all done use professional software to edit it up to the final product, The only drawing involved was the storyboards, And poster design.. Not to sure as to why I never chose art!

Me: Well that is an interesting journey. Would you like to expand your art or be more experimental in the future? Try new techniques or medias like paint or chalks?

Cain Wheale: I do plan on experimenting with other medias! I have done a few chalk drawings here and there, Difficult to use, But at the same time the results looks amazing.. Even for a beginner like me.. And have always been interested in painting, One day I will definitely give that a go

Me:  Do you have any artists or any people in general who inspire you?

Cain Wheale: I've always been a fan of Frank Miller. His comic style has helped me with a lot of the shading work I do, And just comic artists in general, Because transferring the skills I've taken from being such a big fan of comics really helped me get into drawing portraits, For example the use of cross hatching is used by a lot of artists, And from all the years of just drawing and focusing on that side of art has helped with my knowledge of shading, Once you get the basics of that down, you can pretty much transfer it onto any drawing style!

Me: Yeah, I think that influence shows a lot in your work! Old school comic style. Lastly, I'd like to ask, what is your dreams and goals for the future concerning your art? Would you like to be selling in galleries? Have a socialite (Damien Hirst type) lifestyle? Do you wanna get big or just get by?

Cain Wheale: Thank you! Well art is a big part of my life.. So I'd like to get my work out there on a bigger scale, I will have to start looking into building a website showcasing my art on a wider scale. Setting up a Facebook page has definitely increased the numbers of people approaching me about wanting work done. But as I say, one day for definite I will move on to more professional ways of getting my work out there!

Me: Sounds exciting. If customers want to contact you for prices or any other enquiries, how should they contact you?

Cain Wheale: Well at the moment Facebook is definitely the easiest way. I'm always getting people messaging me asking for stuff done, With it being so easy to get in touch and talk to people about what they want, Facebook for now is definitely the easiest way to get hold of me!

Me: Ok, great. I'm looking forward to seeing big things from you!

Cain Wheale: Thank you! And thanks for the support.


Contact Cain Wheale on his Facebook Page for enquiries, to check out his work and to support him!




No comments:

Post a Comment